Saturday, May 29, 2010

First (and hopefully not last) Post

I am vacationing in Northern California this week. I'm not sure why, but I always have the urge to blog when I travel even though the urge may be to blog about non-travel things. I don't know how many blogs I have started over the past 5 years, but I typically lose interest after a week. I expect the same result this time, but my plan will be a bit different.

In the past, I always tried to focus my blog on a specific topic, but no more. This blog will have lots of unrelated stuff in here and I have no intention of weaving a red thread through it all. At this point, I think I will use the following topics/tags for my posts, in order of what I assume I will talk about the most:

1 - Drink; this refers mostly to wine and beer, since I have had a fascination of both for over ten years. Also, I have way more than a week's worth of wine in my cellar, so even if I lose interest in blogging, I shouldn't lose interest in finishing off my wine and commenting on it.

2 - Food; my wife is really into cooking. She has at least 100 cookbooks (no, this is not an exaggeration) and her cooking abilities have greatly improved since we married 3 years ago. I would expect this to become a large part of my discussion because, well, I eat her food and I try to pair my wines with her cooking. Also, eating out will be included here.

3 - Exercise; I often become obsessed with running. This is because running is the easiest way to build up endurance for what I really like to do: bike and snowboard. Unfortunately, the time commitments for biking and snowboarding doesn't allow me to do them too often, so I end up running for the sake of running. I would expect all topics to be discussed at some point.

4 - FOB; stands for "fresh off the boat". My wife is a foreigner and I've been letting the fact that she's a FOB slide for far too long. When we were leaving for our vacation, she came to me and asked if she should bring "sneakers". After a few minutes of apparent confusion, she went to the kitchen, grabbed a Snickers bar, and presented it to me. She obviously meant "Snickers". This is the crap I have to live with, and it will be documented.

5 - Travel; this would have been more important a year ago when I worked for an airline and could travel more easily. I still do travel (after all, I'm in CA this week), but I have no idea how much this topic will come up. Still, I feel the need to include it to keep me motivated to blog.

6 - Random; just like the Animal Kingdoms use "worms" to describe any animal that doesn't fit into any other category, I'll use it for my posts as well.


I have plenty in the archives that I plan to re-post. I think this blog can last at least a month...

No comments:

Post a Comment