Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I just had cheese that smells like feet

I arrived home yesterday from my trip to California, only to find that the cheese that we bought wasn't packed. There were two cheeses that we purchased at a Cowgirl Creamery in Sonoma. The first was Humboldt Fog, a ripened goat cheese made by Cypress Grove Chevre. The other was Oma, a cheese made by a tiny Vermont cheese grower Vonn Trapp, who utilizes the Jasper Hill Creamery to age their cheese.

For a few weeks now, I've had a strong urge to try Jasper Hill cheese. The idea is a good one: build a huge facility and rent space to small cheese makers. It allows small companies to exist, which is good for the local economy, but more importantly, it adds creativity into the world of cheese, which is good for all cheese consumers.

Not knowing much about cheese, but knowing about Jasper Hills and about a cheese that is washed in lambic beer, I asked for the cheese and ended up with Oma, which happens to be aged at Jasper Hills and has a fantastic flavor, but alas, is not bathed in lambic beer. I can't say I am disappointed for trying Oma and will be on the lookout for it in the Twin Cities.

Ironically, I found the cheese I was looking for to begin with - Winnimere - and was not a fan of it. The cheese itself tastes somewhat bland, it kinda smells like feet, and the rind is extremely bitter, but I guess most people don't eat that part.

No comments:

Post a Comment